Skilled in evaluation and research, Nan has more than 15 years experience in designing, leading and managing evaluation and research projects. She has a wealth of public and private sector experience in broadcasting, education, employment, health, housing, justice, social development, social policy, sport and recreation, the arts and culture and heritage. Nan is widely recognised for her adeptness in managing complex relationships in research, evaluation and policy settings.
Nan is passionate about protecting, evidencing and growing the space to be Māori in Aotearoa New Zealand. Nan facilitates dialogue and engagement that builds understanding of Māori. For clients, Nan offers access and insight into Māori views and values for use in government, business and community contexts.
Nan has a strong track record in policy and programme evaluation, using mixed methods in evaluation, organisational capacity and capability development and extensive evaluation training experience. The development of culturally based evaluation outcome frameworks is a particular area of expertise.
Nan’s tribal affiliations are to Ngāti Tukorehe, Ngāti Porou and Te Whānau-ā-Apanui.
Examples of Nan's work and writing
- Wehipeihana, N., Kennedy, V., Pipi, K., & Paipa, K. (2014). Hinerauwhāriki: The Collective Higher Education Experiences of Four Maori Women in F, Cram, Phillips, H, Sauni, P, & Tuagalu, C (Ed). Maori and Pasifika Higher Education Horizons (Diversity in Higher Education, Volume 15), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp.291-313
- Sauni, P., Wehipeihana, N., Paipa, K., & Tuagalu, C. (2014). Pacific Trust Canterbury: Final Action Research Report.
- Wehipeihana, N., Bailey, R., Davidson, E.J., & McKegg, K. (2014). Evaluator Competencies: The Aotearoa New Zealand Experience, The Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation 28 (3), 49-69.
- Mossman, E., Kingi, V., & Wehipeihana, N. (2013). Evaluation of Police Safety Orders.
- King, J., McKegg, K., Oakden & Wehipeihana, N. (2013). Evaluative Rubrics: a Method for Surfacing Values and Improving the Credibility of Evaluation, Journal of Multidisciplinary Evaluation, 9 (21), 11-20.
- Wehipeihana, N., Pipi, K., Kennedy, V., & Paipa, K. (2013). Hinerauwhāriki: Tapestries of Life for Four Māori Women in Evaluation, in Indigenous Pathways into Social Research: Voices of a New Generation, Mertens, D. M. Cram, F & Chilisa, B. (eds). Walnut Hills, CA: Left Coast Press.
- McKegg, K., Wehipeihana N., Pipi, K., & Thompson, V. (2012). He Oranga Poutama – What we have learned? A report on the developmental evaluation of He Oranga Poutama. Wellington, Sport New Zealand.
- Wehipeihana, N. (2012) Evaluation of the Whānau Integration, Innovation and Engagement Fund: Developmental Evaluation Report prepared for Te Puni Kokiri
- Wehipeihana, N. (2012). Evaluation of NCEA and the Whānau prepared for NZQA.